Planning a 4th of July BBQ? Don’t leave Fido out! There are tons of things that both you and your dog friends can enjoy. Plus, once the beer is flowing and people are mingling, you can rest easier knowing that if Uncle Jim slips Sparky some food from his plate, he won’t be causing any major damage. One option is to set up your food on separate tables – one just for the hoomans and one for both you and the furry friends!
Some obvious choices are celery and carrots from a veggie tray, sliced fruit, cheese or an unseasoned hamburger patty or chicken breast. But, there are plenty of ideas beyond that if you’re looking to go the extra mile. Check out the ideas below and share your own dog-friendly BBQ recipes in the comments below!
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients: 3 medium sweet potatoes, 2 small lemons, 1 stalk fresh dill (about 2 tbsp. chopped), 2 tsp. brown sugar and 2 to 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Whisk together oil and brown sugar.
- Scrub the skin well with water and trim off any black or green spots.
- Thinly slice the lemons.
- Chop sweet potatoes into ¼” thick rounds and toss with lemon and olive oil.
- Wrap the potato and lemon in foil and place on the grill over medium-high heat.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cook for 5 minutes then flip the foil packet. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from the grill and allow potatoes to cool for a few minutes before unwrapping the packet.
- Sprinkle finely chopped dill over the sweet potatoes and serve.
Source: Two Little Cavaliers
Ingredients: 1 or 2 small medium potatoes, ½ lb lean ground turkey or beef, baby carrots or grated carrots
- Shape meat (optional carrots mixed in) into a patty. Place on grill until cooked.
- Boil potato(es) until ready. Mash and shape into patties as well. Place one potato patty on bottom, then on top, place meat patty. Top with the second potato patty.
- Place on a plate and add baby carrots as a side.
Source: Simply Pets
Ingredients: 1 lb salmon filet without skin, 1 tbsp. rice vinegar, 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger root, 12 fresh lemon wedges and 12 skewers
- Slice salmon lengthwise into 12 long strips, and thread each onto a soaked wooden skewer. Place in a shallow dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, ginger and pepper. You can experiment here with adding anything else that you think will work well (make sure it’s not toxic for your pup!) Pour over skewers, turning to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. When finished marinating, transfer marinade to a small saucepan and simmer for several minutes.
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
- Lightly oil grill grate. Thread a lemon wedge onto the end of each skewer. Cook skewers on the preheated grill for 4 minutes per side, brushing often with marinade, or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Source: All Recipes
Ingredients: Olive oil, juice of 4 lemons, 2 tbsp. honey, dash of salt and 4 whole chicken breasts
- Mix together some olive oil, lemon juice, honey and a dash of salt. Pound the chicken breasts until they are uniform thickness, then marinate them for about 24 hours in the fridge.
- Grill ’em up. They should take 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Turn them halfway through so they cook evenly on both sides, then set them aside and keep them warm.
Source: Food Network
Ingredients: 2 lbs beef, chicken or lamb, sweet bell peppers, zucchini, white mushrooms, grape tomatoes, 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice, 3 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro, ¼ tsp. ground cumin and 1 small garlic clove
- Chop chicken, steak or lamb into cubes. Thoroughly clean mushrooms. In a sealable bag, combine lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, cumin and garlic (optional). Add meat cubes to the bag, tossing to coat. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible and place in the fridge overnight (or for several hours).
- Once the meat has been marinated, it’s time to build your kebabs. If you are using wooden or bamboo shish kebab skewers, they should be soaked in water for an hour prior to using. Chop zucchini and peppers into chunks. Build your skewers alternating meat and veggies. Use the leftover marinade to baste the kebabs.
- Grill kebabs over medium heat, basting and turning to cook all sides, until the beef is medium-rare, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Source: Two Little Cavaliers
Ingredients: 1 lb ground turkey breast, 1 lb ground turkey thigh, ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley (or 4 tsp. dry), 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp. dry), 1 tbsp. chopped fresh sage (or 1 tsp. dry), 1 clove garlic (optional), dash of salt, dash of pepper, 1 or 2 crisp Granny Smith apples, 9 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, ½ cup cranberry sauce and 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- In a medium bowl, mix together turkey breast, turkey thigh, herbs and garlic.
- Roll turkey mix into 1” balls (should yield about 6 dozen) and lay out evenly spaced on foil.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until no longer pink in the middle and slightly golden on the outside.
- Slice apples ¼” thick and chop into approximately 1” chunks. Slice cheese into thin bite-sized pieces.
- Mix together cranberry sauce and Dijon mustard.
- Once meatballs are cooked, remove and allow to cool slightly.
- On toothpicks, layer cheddar cheese, apple and meatball.
Want something to make beforehand? These last two can be made on the grill but can be baked…
Crunchy BBQ Liver Treats
Ingredients: ½ lb bacon, 1 lb liver (such as calf liver, chicken liver, beef liver, etc.), 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potato puree (substitute carrot, pumpkin, or butternut squash), 1 cup rolled oats (not instant), ½ cup coarsely ground cornmeal (preferably organic/gmo-free), ½ cup flaxseeds, ½ cup chicken broth (salt-free or low sodium; you can also use water), 2 large eggs, plus 1 egg, divided and ¼ cup BBQ sauce (use a non-spicy variety)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silpat and set aside. Arrange 2 baking racks in middle of oven.
- Cook the bacon on a skillet over medium heat until the fat is rendered and bacon is a bit crisp. Remove from skillet and transfer to food processor. Drain all but a thin layer of fat and add the liver pieces, cooking them in batches about 2 minutes on each side, until cooked completely through (will be stiffer and shrunken a bit). Add the cooked pieces of liver to the food processor and puree into a paste. Add the oats, flaxseeds and cornmeal and puree again into a thick dough.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl or stand-up mixer, and add the sweet potatoes, chicken broth, eggs and egg yolk (reserve the third white). Mix well until a thick, sticky dough forms and gathers into a ball. If too wet, add a bit more ground cornmeal until you reach the right consistency.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over your work surface and turn out the dough. Using a cornmeal dusted rolling pin, roll out the dough until it’s about ½” thick. Use 2″ round cookie cutters dusted in cornmeal to cut out circles, and transfer them to the prepared cookie sheets (they can be placed close together). Re-roll out any remaining dough and repeat until all dough is used.
- Place in oven and bake until dry and crunchy — 3 hours for regular oven or 1½ hours for a convection oven. (Check about 20 minutes before end of time to make sure they’re not burning.)
- Remove from oven and lower heat to 200 degrees.
- Whisk together the remaining egg white and the BBQ sauce. Brush on the still-warm treats and then return to the oven for another 40 minutes for regular ovens or 20 minutes for convection ovens to allow the glaze to set.
- Store completely cooled treats in an air-tight container for up to six weeks.
Source: Always Order Dessert
Ingredients: 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 1 cup shredded carrots, 1 tsp. dried parsley, ½ cup (1 stick) butter, 1 tsp. dried rosemary, ¼ cup qater and 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients one at a time, stirring well after each addition
- Knead dough into ball and roll onto a floured surface ½ inch thick and cut with the cookie cutter of your choice.
- Place on your prepared cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, allow to sit in the cooling oven to allow them to harden. Cool and refrigerate.
- Makes 3 to 4 dozen bones.
Source: Doggy Dessert Chef